Thursday, October 2, 2014

NOT SO FAST

May 8, 2014



There are approximately no days where I feel like I've nailed this parenting thing, I guess it's always just a work in progress.  Maybe some moments here and there that it seems I've led the horse to water, but usually it's a constant state of wonder worry.  I have never been responsible for another person before.  I've never had to make a good person.  I made a pretty good dog, but she licks herself.  So that's not a quality I wish my daughter to have.

I wonder should we spank.  Should we yell.  Should we let her work it out herself.  I do not know.  I mess up.  I yell and have popped her cute lil butt (is a butt cute?) but mostly I just get frustrated.  Frustrated that she won't do the things I think she ought to do in the Brady Bunch way I think she should do them.  Then I get frustrated at myself.  Cause I can't help but think I suck at this Mommy thing.  And she's just a baby.  With an uncanny knack of bringing me oh so close to the edge of mental breakdown and then reeling me back in with her cheeks and sheer cuteness.
There are times when I know the response will be tears.  Most of the time, however, the crying comes out of nowhere and I really don't know how to respond.  "shhh stop want some goldfish?"  But I seriously do. not. know. why you are whining.  Which must be why God invented the pacifier.  Mercy.

She does say please and thank you.  She does mostly do what we ask.  Except those many many times that she doesn't.  She says new words all the time, mostly repeating what we say.  Which is good, at least she can mimic our good things for now.  She brought me a diaper the other day and I asked her if she wanted me to change her pants.  She immediately sat down and laid on the floor.  It was highly amusing.  And come to find out she had nothing in her pants to change.  Oh well...I hope this situation rectifies itself during the potty-training days which will come too quickly and not fast enough.

Her new favorite thing to do is watch Elmo youtube videos on the tv.  We stream them from the phone.  It's actually been fun for us too, and we ended up watching 2 hours of Jimmy Fallon after Cheeks went night night.  hashtags and all.  Too bad I fall asleep before dinner these days.
 
She had her first swim lesson of the year last weekend and it was a bit stressful at first.  I wasn't sure I was ever going to breathe again for the death grip she had on me.  But after a while, she full out loved it.  There were stairs on the water slide so obviously she didn't want to leave, presenting it's own list of challenges.  We made it to the car in bathing suits and nothing else.  Durham got a show for free that day, sorry Durham it made me nauseous too.  But either way I was proud of her for conquering her fear of whatever it was and having fun in the pool!  The pigtails and chevron bathing suit pretty much sealed her deal as cutest kid in class, so you know.  I think she was the youngest kid in class too.  Proudness is just abounding here in the Perry casa.  Speakin of.........

We celebrated Cinco de Mayo in the only way I know how....by going out for tacos.  It's like my personal taco holiday and we managed to get in and out in 45 minutes before all the crazy people came.  Emma also used a spoon and ate salsa.  And then ate guacamole.  Can’t believe this kid.  I didn't even have a margarita.  I am getting so much funner in my old age.  Here's hoping the moonshine on Cuatro de Mayo did the trick.

She absolutely loves playing at Boy Boy's house across the street.  She will whine if we are not going there.  She will take off across the street whenever possible.  She will yell his name, as if her personal Romeo.  It's sweet and cute.  I'm sure the neighbors are all like "please stop coming to our house," and all she does when she gets there is go up and down and up and down their stairs.  And up and down some more.  So, obviously, when it's time to go home, she's unhappy.  So so so unhappy.  It's as if we have no stairs anywhere at our house.  With the crying and screaming and flailing around like a goldfish.  Which when crossing the road makes me have a renewed appreciation for pacifiers and bedtime.

But.  She's just a baby Emma.  And I hope she turns out good.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment