Friday, November 30, 2012

FIRSTS

While I might enjoy periods of the day when I am alone in my office or when I slip up to bed before David, I am always thinking about Emma. And what she wore to school that day and how cute she looked when I saw her for the first time that morning and the smiles that I got when I changed her diaper at bedtime. I flip through my phone's camera roll, which currently has 1,522 items, and marvel at how big she's gotten or remind myself how she looked on a particular day. 

Just kicking and sucking my top lip while
the game's on!

Our Emma is getting big.  She is learning new things and growing up entirely too fast.  People say she's small, but to me, the growing is getting out of control.  She sucks her top lip with a vengeance when watching basketball.  She likes to "walk," raising up her legs and stomping like she's making wine.  She kicks.  All the time.  She notices voices and faces from further away and will give a grin when me, David, Grandpa or Grandmommy come into her line of sight.

She has experienced her first two massive throw ups.  All over Mommy and the floor and the changing table.  No worse for the wear, apparently, but I was frazzled and spooked by the whole thing.  Nothing like google searches to get a Mom back on track.  She experienced her first Halloween and her first Thanksgiving, both of which were big hits.  Of course we were all thankful for her, except for Uncle Jim, who was thankful for snap beans.

As you can see, I am a pumpkin. And I have a
question about why I did not receive candy.

She generally opted to chew on my hands, rather than turkey.  Uncle Donald wants to give her sweet potato casserole at Christmas.  He doesn't know that he'll be on diaper patrol for 3 days if said event occurs.  Grandmommy let her sit at the big table with everyone and showed Emma how to use a spoon.  

Emma's teachers commented to David this week that she is the most alert, attentive and happy baby they have.  She is an absolute joy.  Miss Marie told her that she loved her when I went to pick her up, and Emma always gives her a big smile when we leave.  We are so blessed to have her at Parkwood, I can tell she's going to do big things there! 

I bought Emma lots of clothes on Black Friday.  I bought myself a sweater.  Times have changed.  At least baby clothes are cheaper than Clara clothes.  Still should have bought that dress....

Miss Emma spent a short evening with Dad and Grandpa last night when I went to shop at the consignment sale.  I was in line for much longer than I actually shopped.  Got some super cute things for Emma at a great price!  While I was gone, Emma scratched her face and slid off the couch.  David said he heard crying and she'd just slid down from her perch on the Boppy.  She was fine, but I hope David's arm hurts today from where I punched him.

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!

I ordered Emma a stocking with her name on it (along with ones for David and I - must be matchy matchy you know).  I'm not sure what to put in it, but we discussed putting milk coupons in there, so she could redeem them when she wants milk.

David took on a new job at Wells Fargo about 2 months ago and I think he's doing great with it.  Not to be outdone, the day that I came back to work at UNC, I was informed that I would be transitioning to a new role too.  I am someone who doesn't really like change, so between that and the fact that I'd been back to work for only 3 hours - it threw me for a complete loop.  It will require lots of training and learning on my part, all of which is a good thing.  It will take me way out of my comfort zone and involve more patience than I've ever had.  It should be a good thing and I hope it reaps some rewards - financially, professionally, mentally, etc.
 

I'm gonna need some of that squash
casserole.  It looks better than milk.
So, as the end of 2012 approaches, it's definitely mind boggling what all we've done in the past 465 days.  Got married.  Got pregnant.  Got a new house.  Got a baby.  Got a Volvo.  Got milk.  We are so thankful and blessed for all of these things, but most importantly a healthy, happy baby girl.  We miss Grandma, who ushered in Miss Emma to the world as she was leaving it.  We miss Mom, who I see in Emma's face at night and, who I hope, is guiding me to do all of the right things with her.

There's been a lot of amazing firsts for me, David and Emma, but if you're not first, you're last.




No comments:

Post a Comment