Tuesday, April 12, 2016

THE BEST OF TIMES, THE WORST OF TIMES

It's been a while since I have been so saddened by a sporting event.  But it happened last week in Houston.  David and I had the trip of all trips - we ate the best Mexican food, the best brisket and the best steak we've ever had.  We took Uber all over the city.  We drank Texas beer and met many nice people.  (my view of Texas is formally changed to the positive).  We walked here and there and enjoyed the hell out of Houston.  And that doesn't even include the amazing basketball we got to see.  Except for those 4.7 seconds of pure awful.

I have never wanted anything more (well, I have, but relatively speaking...) than two wins in Houston.  I wanted the championship shirt.  I wanted to tell people I was there.  I wanted the world to know that despite all the odds against us, Carolina prevailed.  I wanted it for me and David, to make the trip completely worth it.  I wanted it for our school, because we needed it.  We deserved it.  I wanted it for the players, who could not be better people.  They deserved it more.  It's been a rough few years and for the whole thing to go down as it went down.  Well, that was bad.

Whining about the officials is legitimate, but still doesn't help get us that ring.  Whining about missing free throws or layups or wondering why we took those shots....still doesn't get us the ring.  But we won.  Because we have character.  Because we almost won in spite of all that was against us.  The refs, the shots, the mess of the last few years...

I am so proud of our team.  I am so sad for us.  But we still had a blast.  (and I am still exhausted).

God bless Texas.


No comments:

Post a Comment