Thursday, February 25, 2016

HOW WE DITCHED THE PACI

(this originally did not appear in July, but instead is appearing now so that I do not forget the adventures that I created for myself in the summer of '15)

The July 4, 2015 weekend gave me the bestest of ideas to both eliminate the pacifier from our house and commence potty training.  With Cheeks turning 3 here soon, we were really past the point that the paci was in vogue.  And, she won't get to move up in school until her pee and poop hit the water.  So, a plan was hatched.

Off we went to Target early in the morning and we "traded" our paci for a new toy of Emma's choosing and BIG GIRL underwear (in the form of Frozen and Minnie Mouse).  The poor Target lady was totally confused as to what to do with the paci I handed her.  I whispered "throw it away" and hoped the kid didn't hear me give away her most prized possession.  Once we got home, she was stoked to try on her new underwear.  This was going well.  I was proud of myself and ingenuity in combining milestones.  Her first pick of underwear was cute.  And then she peed on David's leg.

FOUR MORE pairs of underwear and an absolute breakdown on all of our parts (really, Emma needed that paci, David ditched the whole thing and went upstairs, and I was ready to wrap everyone in diapers while enjoying wine straight from the bottle).  I realized that I made a huge error in thinking that we could accomplish all things at once.... and that when we went to the beach she still wouldn't been wholly potty trained and I'd rather cut my head off than ask "do you need to go potty" every 15 minutes on my vacation.  So we threw on some diapers and kept up with the no-paci rule.

The first few days she asked for her paci and I was all "remember how we traded it for a toy and you were a big girl and you're doing so great and you don't need it anyway because big girl."  I straight panicked when she found one in a cabinet I hadn't cleaned out...  But with some redirection to Peppa the Pig, I escaped unharmed.

She sticks her hands in her mouth more than she used to....and I wonder what prayers I should say to stop the crying now that I lost my crutch....and overall she is doing GREAT GREAT GREAT.  I am so proud of her.

If I could just get her to take a break from life and pee in the potty, we would be in some business around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment